The Employment Program of British Columbia may provide financial supports to eligible individuals to start their own business or purchase an existing business, in which they have had no prior ownership. Self-Employment Services provide financial support, business skills development workshops and one-on-one coaching and mentoring.
To be eligible you must:
- Work with your Case Manager and be identified as being eligible, needing and potentially suitable for self-employment services
- Be currently on employment insurance (EI) or have had an EI claim in the past five years or a parental claim in the past five years
- Be unemployed
- Be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Want to start a “new to you” business
- Have a controlling interest in the business
- Propose a business concept that would be suitable for public funding
- Plan to work full-time (minimum of 35 hours per week) in your business
The Employment Program of British Columbia is funded by the Government of Canada and the Province of British Columbia.